fredag 2 januari 2015

Knitting wool diaper covers

Our third child is due to arrieve soon, and this time I going to try cloth diapers. I have never used a cloth diaper for any of the boys. For our first son we bought ordinary baby wet wipes and diapers, and his little bottom often went red. Then we replaced the wet wipes with terry cloth wipes which we soak in water and use with vegetable oil to clean him, and his skin was much less irritated. So, the next step is to try the more breathable cloth diapers.

I want to avoid non-natural fibers, like PUL-fabrics. However, this means that I have to get my hands on wool soakers. I would like to knit the soakers, but I don’t see that I will have time to make them!

Fortunately, my mother, grandmother and mother-in-law have stepped in to assist me!

My grandmother made the first three diaper soakers:




For the covers without legs she used the free diaper soaker pattern from Ottobre Design, size 0-8 month.

And knitted in “flossagarn” from Lankava, Finland.
 
Flossagarn is yarn that is unspun and very delicately threated to maintain the natural wool fat, lanolin.


The diaper cover with legs are made after the pattern "Samuels ullbyxa".

My mother-in-law has made this diaper cover, using the same flossagarn as above and the Ottobre pattern:

*** Picture is coming soon ***

We have left these pair of knickers unsewn. I intend to insert KAM-snaps in order to make them adjustable.

Since the Ottobre pattern is rather large in size, I wanted to try another pattern and another yarn. I ordered a pattern and yarn from Askeladen, Denmark.

During the holidays we have spent a few hours in our car, and I took the opportunity to try the Askeladen pattern myself:



I did the soakers a bit smaller than described in the pattern. There are 60 stitches around the waist.

So, now I will go on and make/source diapers.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar