onsdag 13 maj 2015

Knitting Askeladen wool diaper covers

With our third child I want to give cloth diapers a try! With our oldest son we used the ordinary diapers and wet wipes you find in stores, and didn’t really know that there were options.  We had to use a lot of ointment to cure his little red bottom. Whit our second son we replaced the store bought wet wipes with small towels that we just soaked in water and put some oil on to clean him, and there was no red bottom.

Now, I want to address the problem of the marks that the store bought diapers leaves on the baby skin! So, I’ve decided to try cloth diapers. Our daughter is now two month old, and I must say that I am impressed with the cloth diapers so far.

I’ve tried both pocket diapers with PUL fabric and wrap diapers. With the wrap diapers you have to use a diaper cover to make it waterproof. I have knitted diaper covers using flossa yarn from Finland, and wool yarn from Denmark, produced by Askeladen.
Our daughter is getting red rash from the PUL diaper, but I’m really satisfied with using wrap diapers with wool covers!

Wool covers are supposed to prevent the baby’s clothes from getting wet while at the same time keeping the baby comfortable in both hot and cold weather. Wool is 100% breathable.

The yarn from Askeladen is called Lanolin yarn. It is prepared very carefully, and the natural fat, lanolin is preserved. The baby’s wee is acidic, and the lanolin is alkaline, which means that the wee is neutralized = the covers cleans themselves! Of course the covers have to be cleaned if there gets poo on them.

I bought two skiens of yarn from Askeladen, one with 2 threads, and one with 3 threads. I got 6 pair of diaper covers!



The last one is not on the picture; I knitted it in the car the other night.

I use wrap diapers with hemp/bamboo/cotton soakers, and these covers do not leak.

These covers are made with 2-thread lanolin yarn in the ribbing and the rest with 3-thread lanolin yarn. The size is 4-8 month.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar